Sunday, May 11, 2008

This is why we can't have nice things...

It was quite recently brought to my attention that I love obscure bands in the same sense as my nine year old sister in law loves the Jonas Brothers and Mylie Cyrus. A great example of this is my So Many Dynamos ringtone. Who are So Many Dynamos? Only four of the most adorable, lovable, and musically breathtaking young men I have personally seen live, and that's really saying something.
I love going to shows and seeing bands I have never seen before. It's similar to my birthday, Christmas, Mother's Day, and an anniversary all rolled into one for me. I show up at Blank Venue in Somewheresville, USA honestly not knowing what's going to happen, who's going to be an asshole, or what sort of people I will meet that day. It's my favorite activity and it is always a surprise, good or bad. I have, unfortunately, seen considerably more dreadful and truly appalling bands than I have decent or even alright bands.
In the case of So Many Dynamos, their show at the Darkroom in Baton Rouge was such a nugget of splendid in a sea of ghastly that I still can't forget it. Even to the extent that I have Search Party as my ringtone on my cellular device. They're that good.

No comments: